Restrictions on Substitution in SBWP

Susan R. Keohan keohan at ll.mit.edu
Mon Sep 18 13:11:30 EDT 2006

In the good ol' R/3 days, a substitute could only *process* a workitem if they had the appropriate
Basis authorizations.  For example, if the workitem involved Changing an Invoice, and the substitute
only had authorizations to Display an Invoice, then they would get an error message.   So your
authorizations can really be your friend, by prohibiting users from completing workitems they have
no business completing.

You may also be able to use Substitute Profiles to allow/prohibit users from acting on certain types
of workitems, but I have only read about this.

We also have the requirement to only allow people to select certain other people for their
substitutes, but this is not met in standard SAP... I believe Jocelyn suggested looking at
SAP_WAPI_SUBSTITUTE_MAINTAIN as a place to start, if we determined we needed to do a core mod.

Too bad SAP doesn't already have this functionality in place, because the topic has been talked
about quite a bit... Seems like it's a *real* requirement for quite a lot of people...