Application independant workflow ?

Philip Kisloff pkisloff at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 15:52:24 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience, ideas or knowledge of SAP Business
Workflow being used for generic workflow tasks that are not specific to
a data object in SAP?

I'm asking because I'm evaluating a successor to Domino, which serves as
the company standard workflow engine. In the frame is Microsoft Office
2007, which will have in the next year or so a reasonable workflow
engine, or so I'm told.

Personally, I'm very comfortable with the SAP workflow engine and
development environment, but in our company there are many business
functions that don't reside in SAP (the majority, in fact).  Can SAP's
workflow compete in this area? Obviously, we will install a fresh
installation of NetWeaver 04, but not configure any of the applications.

Any thoughts, pros and cons would be welcome.

Many thanks

Phil