SAP-WUG Message Size

Mike Pokraka asap at workflowconnections.com
Tue Mar 7 08:15:40 EST 2006

G'Day all,
My personal opinion on this subject is no attachments, period.

Virus risks aside, most of Usenet and even SDN also manages fine without
attachments (as did the WUG in the ListServ days). The simple workaround
is to make the files available via the web and post a link to it. It only
takes a minute to put a file online with myspace, yahoo, msn, your ISP,
or... - there are tons of alternatives. That way those who want to have a
look can do so and those who aren't interested aren't inconvenienced.

Another reason (and I realize I'm part of a small minority here) is the
cost. Mobile network charges are around 6$ per MB whilst abroad. As I'm
self-employed, these are MY OWN costs. A 5MB limit still puts it at $30.
That's 8 beers for an attachment I may not want, think about that.

Perhaps a more esoteric reason is quality. One needs to think carefully
about how to accurately describe a problem in a few words. This can take a
little more time and effort than pasting a screenshot, but can often solve
the problem for you. I know, because I have found the answer to many of my
problems halfway through writing a post to the list.

Cheers
Mike

Sue Keohan wrote:
> Hello WFers,
>
> Since there was some difficulty experienced by a recent posting due to
the size of the message, the message size limit has been set to 5.2MB. If
anyone has a case where this size is insufficient, please feel free to
discuss on the list... I have no problem bumping the size up again, but
also don't our 'road warriors' to stop checking the list due to overlong
messages.