Using composite roles in agent assignment

Mark Pyc mark.pyc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 09:55:58 EDT 2006

G'day Paul,

I believe you are correct. The role that is linked to the Task needs to be
assigned to agents. Having a composite role which brings together a number
of other roles doesn't link it to users who have any of the individual roles
and indeed you wouldn't want to. If this were the case and you had a general
role which gave basic access that was allocated to each composite role, then
linking any composite role would be the same as marking the task as general.

One concept that I have used before where there are company code specific
roles and I wanted each company code linked to the same task was to have the
security people create a dummy role which was included in each of the
company code specifc roles. This way I could just link the task to the dummy
non-cocd specific role knowing that users within each CoCd would be assigned
this role. This is really just transfering maintenance effort to the
security team rather than a WF admin team, however I believe that the
security team can be quite sexy about it with help of some external
products.

Good luck. If you do come up with anything cunning please report back.

Have fun,
Mark