4.6C - workflow builder invalidates workflow definition when removing outcome

Kjetil Kilhavn KJETILK at statoil.com
Wed Jan 18 06:22:19 EST 2006

There are many small problems with workflows, but I have never before had the workflow builder outright sabotage me.

In one of our workflow we have a step where the method has the "Result parameter" flag set. All fine so far.
I added another value to the domain of the result parameter data type. Another outcome became available. Excellent.

I removed a value from the domain of the result parameter data type. The workflow builder was not impressed, so I added that value to the domain again to try and disable the outcomes before I removed the value from the outcome. When I removed the outcome from the step I got a question about reconnecting the outcomes to the subsequent steps. Fine, I set it up as it should be. Don't know why it bothered to ask, because it certainly didn't pay any attention to my input. Instead it deleted several steps that should not have been deleted, and - and this is what is really causing problems - disconnected one outcome so that only two of the three branches meet. See the attached image.

The disconnected outcome didn't have any subsequent steps in its branch, but there are subsequent steps that are common. The workflow builder set up the disconnected outcome with same step symbol as for "Workflow complete" so at the time I thought it was pretty clever. Obviously my brain was on holiday, how could the software know that an outcome named "SKIP" meant that no further action was necessary? If this was Microsoft software I would understand, because those boys always know better than the users, but this is SAP.

When the step result is "SKIP" the workflow goes into error with messages
WL 406 - ROLLBACK WORK executed (SWP_CONTINUE_WITH_NEXT_NODES item 1)

WL 416 - Workflow '34711092': No successor exists for CASE node 268 with value ''

The problem is that there is no step 268 in the workflow definition. Since the node that is in the disconnected branch is not listed I assume it is node 268.

Needless to say I haven't found any way of reconnecting the disconnected step, and I didn't find any OSS Notes that seemed relevant at all, nor anything in the archive for this group. So there's nothing else to do than rebuild the workflows I suppose. Just wondering if anyone else have had the same problem.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn, Statoil ØFT KTJ ITS BKS SAP Basis

this message.
Thank you.