Design and documentation of workflows - a useful tool

Kjetil Kilhavn KJETILK at statoil.com
Tue Oct 18 09:14:30 EDT 2005

There are very many different software solutions for creating
flowcharts. Some are commercial, some are free. The discussion of tools
have been up here before, but I haven't really bothered as I have not
used workflow diagrams in documentation.

Now I have a need to document some design and I found a nice free tool
called yEd. It is a graph editor implemented in Java. You can use your
own pictures for the nodes, and another very neat feature is export
capability for WMF-files. Thus scalable pictures can be created and used
in your favourite word processor (or in the word processor you are
forced to use). If anyone wants to have a go it is available at
http://www.yworks.com/

I have also used GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) to create PNG files with
transparent background for each of the different symbols, so now I can
design and document using SAP's own symbols, see the attached example
:-)
--
Kjetil Kilhavn, Statoil KTJ IT BKS

this message.