What is Diff. Bet Triggering Events and start conditions

Peter Roehlen theycallmepete at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 6 05:33:38 EDT 2005

Hi Prashant,

The triggering event is an event that you can latch on to in order to start your workflow.  Events are sometimes predefined or can be configured to be raised on change of status, via change docs and message control etc.

Often, it is not enough to just say, "this workflow must start whenever that event is raised" but you want finer control over whether or not the workflow should be started.

So, for example, I may have a workflow that I want started whenever a PM order is created in the system.  I therefore use the PM Order Created event as the triggering event.  However, if I only want the workflow to start whenever a PM order of a certain type is created then I also define a start condition which filters the events and only allows the event to be effective if the order is of the correct type.

Without start condtions you would be forced to check the relevant fields from within the workflow and terminate it if the object is not relevant.  This is much more inefficient than start condtions which are check prior to the workflow being started.

Sorry for the rambling answer, hope it's of help.

Cheers

Peter Roehlen.