Event queue: Events per read access

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Mon Mar 21 10:15:09 EST 2005

After the tremendous success with my question about settings for SWWERRE (2
replies both recommending to keep my hands off the setting) it is time to
have another go at asking what values are used around the world.

The event queue is a fine tool to distribute the load, but I find the
example value in the documentation a bit unrealistic. 5 events per read
access amounts to a maximum of 300 per hour if you run the dispatcher every
minute. That sounds a little low. The load on the server would be very low,
but on the other hand the wait time could be long if there are a lot of
events being created. Even if you scan a batch of invoices you would
perhaps have to wait 5 minutes for them to be available (assuming you used
the event queue for that).

I have set it high enough to avoid any significant delays, but I think it
is higher than it should be. The current setting is 150 events per read
access, with the dispatcher running every minute, for a maximum of 9.000
events per hour. I think it is wise to run the dispatcher every minute, but
would like to have a much lower value for number of events per read access.
Something between 25 and 100  sounds better to me. A setting of 50 would
give nearly one WPS - workflow per second :-)

Let's have a show of hands here! What is the value *your* company/client
uses?
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

this message.