Creating an implicit loop - retry a failed step

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Sun Mar 13 18:24:25 EST 2005

WF'ers,

Hi, here's my dumb question for the morning.

I am trying to set up a very simple workflow that has the following
(partial) logic:

1. Change document (background step)
      2. If 'Change Document' failed, ask user if they want to retry (user
decision)
                  3. If the user chose 'Retry', go back to step 1
            4. If the user chose 'Exit', finish the workflow
      5. If 'Change Document' succeeded, finish the workflow

Simple, no? But when setting it up in the graphical editor,
I cannot work out how to make step 3's 'retry' outcome point back
to step 1. I thought you could just grab & drag the arrow, but it
refuses to budge.

Is it even possible to set up a workflow this way, or do you have
to make an explicit loop? That is more work (adding an UNTIL
loop, new workflow container element, container operation steps etc..)
and it 'clutters' the workflow. I'd rather have an implicit loop.

Any tips?

thanks,
Paul

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be
a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the
information contained in this e-mail or any of its
attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or
any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments
are confidential and may be legally privileged and
the subject of copyright.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland
Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the
e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury
uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not
liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in
any attachment.