Workflow Certification Exam Guidelines

Mike Pokraka wug.replies at workflowconnections.com
Wed Jul 20 19:20:41 EDT 2005

G'Day Paul,
I haven't sat the exam because it's still not available in the UK and I
certainly don't see the value of travelling just to get it on my CV.
Taking the lead from our fearless listkeeper, I believe that I'm allowed
to plug the SAP TechEd Conference :-) They offered various free
NetWeaver certification exam sittings at last year's TechEd,
unfortunately not WF. Perhaps this year they might (does anyone know?).
It's another reason to threaten the boss with a big stick to sponsor a
trip to TechEd in Sept/Oct.

As to your hiring question, I believe I have been on both sides of the
interviewing table enough times to comment... If you're starting out in
WF or have a patchy WF background on your CV, Certification definitively
helps. I have trawled many CVs, the majority tend to be ABAPers who have
some WF experience, configured a few workflows or developed the odd one
or two here. Nothing against their abilities, but for a pure WF role I
would like to see certification on such a CV before serious
consideration on a contract role.
A long term contract, perm role or part WF / part ABAP role is a
different animal alltogether. Certification is less important in all of
those.
Of course experience, knowledge and understanding just overtakes any
certification, I certainly wouldn't question whether Jocelyn is
certified :-)
Then again, who's doing the interviewing? I've interviewed with clients
who have had no idea about WF whatsoever. It's a random toss-up between
talking to someone who is impressed by what's on paper or someone who
values that you can understand their business and describe workflow in
their language (which is something you won't learn on the course or any
exam)....

Conclusion: If you have a little experience it'll help you a lot, if you
have a lot it'll help a little. It can't do any harm. There are just too
many variables to make any hard and fast rules....

Thad probably made the most important point of all: it's real value lies
in the whole certification process, the preparation and study.

Just my 2p's worth.....
Cheers
Mike