A WF design question from a new guy

Loren Huffman huffediguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 12:17:49 EST 2005

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was in such a hurry to dig a trench through the forest that I didn't take a look at the big picture. I'll do as you have suggested and use the two start conditions - a very good tip. I'll also be mindful in the future not to use my 'check step and terminate' bad design model. Thanks again!

Cheers

Loren

Mark Pyc <markpyc at hotmail.com> wrote:
G'day Loren,

You're right, WF is fun!

You may want to consider having two versions of the Workflow and using Start
Conditions.

Cond 1.
If amount is <=10000 and doc type = B3 start Workflow A
Cond 2.
If amount is >10000 and doc type = B3 start Workflow B

This allows you to have a very simple design in each Workflow. In WF A you
have a single approval step. In WF B you'll have three steps, 1 for each of
the approval levels.

This also gets rid of the 'check step' you mentioned which terminates the WF
- a big no-no in terms of design. Every WF that triggers writes multiple
entries to the DB all of which are pointless if you throw the process away
as soon as it starts.

The logic of where the approval process is up to is normally held in the WF
rather than in the rule. I don't think you'll need a programmed rule to
handle the situation you describe.

Have fun,
Mark