Synchronous Dialog Chains and the UWL

Jeff Rappaport Jeff at Business-Workflow.com
Fri Aug 12 12:59:36 EDT 2005

Gregory,

   Could you take the 2nd step Method & move it into the 1st Step as an After execution Secondary Method?

Jeffrey A. Rappaport
Business Workflow, LLC
Voice: (732) 355-0123
Fax:    (509) 757-4144
Email: Jeff at Business-Workflow.com
Web:  www.Business-Workflow.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gregory Utley
  To: sap-wug at mit.edu
  Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:49 PM
  Subject: Synchronous Dialog Chains and the UWL

  All,

  A question to all:  We are soon implementing the SAP Portal.  For the most part, we've had no problems with workflow applications in the portal environment, and the consolidation of agent approval notifications in the UWL is an improvement over using system dependent SBWP inboxes.

  The one major downside for workflow in the portal (specifically the UWL) is the loss of "synchronous dialog chain" processing (OSS Notes 794439 and 487649).  The standard SAP travel expense workflow depends upon a two-step approval process (approve, then update the employee master) via workflow.  With the loss of synchronous dialog processing, the "update" step goes into READY status in the UWL instead of just executing automatically as it did before.  The bottom line: the approver must approve twice.

  I wrote a program that will run periodically in background to identify these READY update tasks and trigger them.  This solves the problem (the approver only approves once), but it's not an optimum solution since it leaves the update task in the approver's UWL inbox until the background program runs.

  If anyone else has run into this problem and solved it in a more efficient way, I'd love to hear from you.

  Greg Utley

  CiTR!X Systems, Inc.

  SAP Development Team