Agents assignment in a production environment

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Nov 2 23:12:21 EST 2004

Hi Nolin,
Would also very strongly recommend that if you have HR module implemented your HR staff be responsible for
maintaining your rules.  And yes all rules should resolve to a minimum of the position id (not user id) if you are using HR.   Most especially important if you intend to use the A210 infotype to do workflow substitution!
However it is ***ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL*** that your workflow administrator(s), whether technical or business oriented, have sufficient access to be able to check what has been assigned for troubleshooting/help desk calls.

How the rule is implemented still needs to be considered on a case by case basis.  Direct use of position numbers in
workflows is not generally recommended as new positions can be created and existing positions made obsolete as your organization goes through restructures - you don't want to then have to change your workflow at the same time.  Instead a rule ("standard role" is the old terminology Nat!) which makes the link between the workflow and the position is safer.  If all else fails you can use standard rule 70000172 to assign agents per task, but usually there is a better rule you can create / apply.

Another option is to use a security role (activity group) - this is especially useful for assigning possible agents, if agents need particular authorities to perfom a task, as it ties the authorizations and the task together.
Regards,
Jocelyn