Automatically replacing a workitem

Jim Sauceman sauceman at tennessee.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:44:10 EDT 2004

Patrick,

We have the same situation and I have searched in vain for a solution to
function as you suggest. With all due respect, I believe SAP has made =
some
assumptions regarding work items that are not valid in all situations.
Reality is that human beings sometimes postpone decisions for a variety =
of
reasons: to get more information, procrastination, the phone rings, etc.
Whatever the reason, the work item remains reserved by that agent and =
others
cannot access it. We need a way around this situation.

The act of executing the work item and then backing out should not
PERMANENTLY reserve the work item to that agent. After the agent decides =
delay his/her decision and complete the work item at a later time, it =
should
immediately be available to all other selected agents. In my (and =
others)
opinion, it should be a separate, intentional act to permanently reserve =
the
work item.=20

Using "Confirm end of processing" is not the answer because the user =
does
not want to complete the work item nor should he/she be forced to do so. =
In
fact, the user frequently wants his/her colleague (who is another =
selected
agent) to make the decision. However, because the work item is =
automatically
and permanently reserved, the colleague cannot see it unless the first =
agent
remembers to replace it -- which is rarely.

I believe your question like mine is whether the system can provide a =
way to
ONLY have the work item reserved while it is actively be accessed by an
agent. Thereafter, we want it to again be available to all selected =
agents.=20

Can the system be configured to act this way or can we write an ABAP =
report
to replace work items that are not currently being used?

Best regards,

Jim Sauceman
University of Tennessee