Modification of SAP standard solution for payment blocks

Soady, Phil phil.soady at sap.com
Sat Jun 12 09:17:01 EDT 2004

Hi Paul, Hi Mike,
I would tend to agree.

Im not that familiar with the standard workflows.
By the time I get to a customer, the situation has been so far butchered
that starting again is normally best.

Even the basic HR leave scenarios can burn you as soon as you deviate from
the vanilla scenario.

By the time you have built your own delegation scenario,
have wiz bang next approver determination roles, that may support
escalation, change of position and auto send to administrator etc
the workflow itself is the easy bit.

Im now convinced, the only view to take is,
you are automating a process of some sort.
Understanding the real process is the first step,
The degree you automate is the second decision.

Trying to crowbar a template into this is back to front.

Use the example to help understand the process inside SAP.

Then understand your process.

Then figure out what needs to be modeled and build it.

Don't get hung up about saving a hour or 2 by copy WSxxxxxxx

The other thing is you can document your own WSxxxxxx better.

Personally I think, Swdd_config Causes more dramas than it solves.

Depending on what mode you look at a task, you can see the SAP text
or the customer specific one.
Ive lost time looking for something when Ive missed this.

AT the end of the day consistency and good docu, good processes
and transparency are better that saving 4min 25sec by recycling a template.  And as soon as you need to change it, you need a new one anyway...

Lets face it. If you go to the trouble to document the true process,
the effort in actually building the workflow isn't normally that bad.
The hard work is in the modeling, understanding how SAP works, which events are issued and when,  plus your custom delegation, escalation, approver determination code.

No doubt there a customers happy with some of the standard workflows.
But my  mindset remains use templates as an example and bake you own.

Phil Soady
Senior Consultant
Business Technologies
SAP Australia