SAP_WAPI_START_WORKFLOW

Mark Huffman mhuffman at universalwebflow.com
Mon Jul 19 15:20:51 EDT 2004

Patrick,

Ah the advantages of using Event Creation!

I worked on a project where we continually called workflows with large data
structures using the FM you cited from custom transactions.
...START_SIMPLE... works too. We didn't pass objects and would instantiate
the objects needed within the workflow.

Not sure if the WAPI actually allows passing objects, but our approach fit
the project requirements better anyway since we wanted to ensure that the
transaction completed and the workflow actually started in all cases. Any
retry or error handling was in the workflow.

Sometimes using Event Creation is very worthwhile even if you have to go the
long way around and create a custom object with its' own custom events, then
instantiate the 'real' objects in the code and pass them as event
parameters.

In my view, depends on what the system volume/overhead might be like (event
queue) and where you want to put in your error handling (of course a lot of
ABAP programmers turned workflow expert don't ever worry about minor issues
like that ...)

Mark