UWL Navigation

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Wed Jul 14 04:16:20 EDT 2004

Hi John,
Make sure you have the latest patch available and have checked the OSS notes under component EP-BC-UWL.

Did you find the help? Path is:
help.sap.com
SAP NetWeaver
Release 04
People Integration
Portal
Admin Guide
Super Admin
Standard Portal Content
Default Iviews
The Universal Worklist (includes a link to the Universal Worklist end user guide, and authorization requirements)
Configuring the Universal Worklist / Ad hoc workflow Administration / Task Launch Customization

You'll probably find Configuring the Universal Worklist (which deals with registering Item Types) and  Task Launch Customization the most useful for what you are trying to do.

It does give XML examples and hints such as:
"Choose the appropriate configuration that is to be customized. If it is intended that this customization should affect all Business Workflow related Configurations, choose "uwl.webflow" as the configuration. Otherwise choose the configuration specific to the system for which ItemTypes are customized."

You are correct in deducing that all of the XML files need to start with uwl.  What comes after that indicates whether the uwl file applies to all work items or only to work items from a particular system.  Make sure you conform to the UWL DTD of course.

There's also an example of working with UWL actions in OSS note 738398 that you may find interesting.

There is some more help documentation to come with SP3 - but the best place to look for the latest doco is still help.sap.com.

Your changes won't be visible immediately.  You need to clear the cache via the Universal Worklist Cache Admin and  start a new browser session to see the changes as well as logging out and back in. If that still doesn't work, try restarting the portal itself.

If you are on a WAS system you can also use transaction SWFVISU to make some changes, but the XML allows greater control.

EP6.0 SP3 gives wider control over custom attributes and the UWL display generally.

And of course if you really can't find out how to do something in the documentation or your customized file doesn't seem to be being used despite following the documentation query it via OSS/service.sap.com, i.e. don't frame it like a consulting question, frame it as "current documentation in .... doesn't tell me how to... please point me to the doco/values to use when I want to ... business reason we want to do this is...".   Business reason is important - developers love to understand how people want to use the applications they have created, and this feeds into future support packs/releases.

Remember a lot of this is still relatively new - so use Oss/service.sap.com to talk to the developers and get their input on what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it.
Regards,
Jocelyn