Runtime version and new version

Sergey Breslavets sergey.breslavets at epstechnology.com
Thu Jan 29 13:01:08 EST 2004

Hi Angelo,=20

if all you modified is some object method then you don't have to worry =
about it - object method code is not linked to a particular workflow =
template version, the changes will be automatically used by ALL =
workitems that execute the method... (this is also something to watch =
out for when modifying an object method..)

now, if you have modified your workflow template you cannot have your =
workitems to continue execution using the new template - it's not =
handled by workflow engine and will mess up your runtime workflow tables =
(make them inconsistent). The whole versioning control exist to prevent =
exactly that.

But if you still need to do this, you have to handle this at application =
level. I did that once - i had to write a "conversion" program which =
would terminate existing runtime instances for (i.e. workitems) and =
restart the workflows with the new definition, bringing them to the same =
point they were in old workflow - it's a lot of work and risk and is =
probably not worth it unless you have substantial number of workitems =
that need to be converted. I've "been there, done that" and would not do =
it again...

regards,
Sergey