URL link to a specific object within a standard iView of Enterprise Portals

Fady Youssef fady.youssef at uk.ibm.com
Fri Jan 23 11:45:44 EST 2004

Hi guys and gals

There is a requirement for workflow to send an email notification directly
via the SMTP service of the WAS 6.20 to a user's MS Outlook. This is
straightforward as we send to an internet address.

The email notification should have a URL that will be implemented as an
attachment.The URL is dynamically built.

On executing the URL, it is required that the URL directs the user to an
object in a standard iView, e.g. a specific WI ID in the Universal Work
list (UWL) iView. The URL will be embedded into an attachment. The standard
iView is for cProjects.

Apparently the portals config of UWL, as an example, and as a matter of
course the cProjects iView, have parameter settings that can be set but we
can only hardcode a static value here, and not dynamically pass a value to
it, or CAN I?

Does anybody know how to dynamically pass the WI ID (or in essence any
parameter) to a standard iView via a URL to locate the wi id or other
object within the appropriate iView? The effect desired is that the cursor
is placed on the object required (e.g. wi id) or the object is highlighted.
Can you give me an example of how the URL would look using the WI ID
example to UWL.

Note: I know how to locate the object direct in cProjects.

The environment is such that  Enterprise Portals 5.0 will be used to access
all things, and there are plans to have MS Outlook embedded in Portals
using the standard iView.

Thanks in advance
Fady