Role - Cost Center Manager

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Wed May 28 21:17:18 EDT 2003

Hi Jerry,=20
Responsibility rules are also described in the book in some detail. I =
consider them the preferred method of rule creation with or without HR. =
Not only because they link to the corporate organization but because =
they:
* Do not require any programming effort
* Are extremely flexible - cope with single values, ranges, patterns =
(wildcards), dummy values, secondary prioirities, etc.
* Can easily be understood/changed by business personnel
* Cope with large numbers of entries (performance problems with these =
were solved some time ago - if you have
an older system make sure you have applied the relevant OSS notes)
* Both the rule and the responsibility criteria can be transported - =
leaving only the assignments to be entered via transaction OOCU_RESP or =
via the org plan (responsibility criteria exist as RY objects).

As to who maintains them - this was discussed in the book and most =
recently at ASUG.  Everyone I've spoken to or met
recommends pretty much the same approach:
* If you have HR, have your HR people update it but make sure they =
understand the workflow implications
* If you don't have HR, it becomes the responsiblity of the business =
process owner or workflow administrator.=20

You might want to ask the rest of the SAP-WUG group for their comments =
- I know there are quite a few who use responsibility rules.=20
Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart=20
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book