Development Landscape

Kisloff, Philip B Philip.Kisloff at astrazeneca.com
Wed May 7 04:34:41 EDT 2003

Hi Bill

When a new workflow template or standard task is created, it is assigned a
unique internal number identifier. The developer has no influence over this
number assignment and contrasts with the development of ABAPs.

What makes the number assignment unique between systems is the prefix number
created during initial customising of that system. Say for DEV the prefix is
901. This prefix is transported into every system the workflows go, so all
workflows in PROD can only have come from DEV if they begin 901.

At first blanche, this prefix numbering is robust to deal with two
development environments. Everything created in DEV begins 901, and
everything created in DEV2 begins, say, 902.  In production, before
cut-over, maintained and new workflows will have objects beginning with 901,
and at cut-over will be over-written with workflows beginning with 902. It
is standard that workflows already running will continue to use their
existing objects and only newly started workflows will be effected.

Potential Problems

1.      DEV will be used to re-create DEV2 at the next roll-out. DEV has no
prefix beginning 902, nor can it as only one prefix is allowed per system.
This means that if the prefix 902 is used again in DEV2, it will start
numbering from 90200001. This means that existing 902 workflow objects will
be over-written in PROD. This scenario is not the original intention of
prefixes, and other workflows sharing a standard task might not use the old
task if the template has not also been transported.
2.      To get around the problems in (1), we could create a different
prefix every time, e.g. 902, 912, 922 etc. We would then have redundant
tasks in Production, after over-writing with 9x2 tasks, but this should not
be a problem.  What is a problem is when we refer to a workflow by it's
unique ID. This is already done in report variants, but can potentially be
done inside workflows and monitor reports. Nothing can be fully tested in
DEV in these circumstances. Also, if a number range is inadvertently used
twice, then I do not think it can be reversed.

The answer might be to only create new workflows in DEV, never in DEV2,
although they can be modified in DEV2.

Best regards

Phil