determine external email address during notification text

Richard V Marut rvmarut at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 00:15:03 EST 2003

Swami,

There are multiple ways you could get the external address. Here are 2
ways that I've had success with.

The 1st is you could store the e-mail address on the address tab of the
user maintenance screen in the internet mail field under the
communication section. You would then use function module
RH_GET_SMTP_ADDRESS using the SAP user id that will return the address.

The 2nd way is to store the e-mail address in the pd-org on info type
0105. First you would have to setup a sub-type for a user and e-mail
entries. You can then perform a direct read against table pa0105 with
the user id and user sub-type on the first pass and then a second lookup
against the same table with the personnel number and the sub-type for
the e-mail address.

Once you get the address, you don't want to put it into the ACTOR_TAB
though because this structure was designed to use SAP specific objects.
You'll want to use business object SELFITEM, method SendTaskDescription
to send the external mail.

My preferred method is to use the 2nd option because it seems to fall
more inline with the design of SAP.

You might want to check with a basis person to first see if you're setup
to send external mail.

Richard Marut