Assignment of SAP org. objects to positions on production?

Soady, Phil phil.soady at sap.com
Mon Jan 13 20:18:39 EST 2003

Please be careful if you decide to create objects in DEV and transport them to production.
The most critical point is number ranges.
BE SURE to get the number ranges reset in production.
Ie make sure any objects created in production have a different number range to DEV.

The settings controlling whether PD objects created in DEV should be captured in transports or not is in TABLE T77s0.
See the section under TRSP for transport.

Option 2 is to use ALE to send objects from PRODUCTION back to DEV.
This is method I suggest normally. Means that a PRD system needs to be there. This may not be the case in a build scenario.

Option 3. A once ALE of HR objects to PRD. (TRANS may be easier if it is one off, and dangerous if left in place too long.)

The extra links you refer to are best only be maintained on PRD.

If possible create all the master data in PRD directly.

There is no fundamental reason why this can't happen weeks before go live, as soon as the system is available. Only project related issues could block this approach.

Note if you send an Object, say position from DEV to PRD, and if it
exists, it will be replaced along with relationships.

If you want dev and prd to have the same org structure,
and this is often the push behind the scenes,
then create the org structure in PRD and ALE it back to DEV.

See the Help CD under ALE business processes and the quick start guide to ALE.

Using BD64 to define a message HRMD_A from PRD to DEV.
BD64 to transfer model to DEV, BD64 to generate the profile in both
systems and the fire up transaction PFAL. Hey presto ! Org structure
is available on DEV.

One word of advice.
The org structure is the one of the most important master data and organisation disciplines you can introduce.
Get some input/help regarding this process if you are unfamiliar with it.  Workflow is a good way of highlighting a poorly constructed or non
representative org structure. The workflow administrator will kill
someone if the org structure is not accurate or poorly constructed or
not a true reflection of how the business is structured.

hth

Phil Soady
Senior Consultant
Business Technologies