Workflow approval process outside SAP

Soady, Phil phil.soady at sap.com
Thu Nov 21 08:20:44 EST 2002

Hi Swami,
you could try sending and receiving XML messages from and back into the workflow.
in 46c, the ITS is used to receive the post back XML messages. As of 6.1 no ITS needed.
Dare I suggest "the" book or just the online docu for help on setting up the XML loop.

If your business partner can easily participate in XML then you could opt for a simple mail
sent and returned.

However you must programmatically process the inbound EMAIL.

Basically with a subtype of WIMAILREC, inside the method receive,
you get handle to the inbound mail.
You then read the mail document and decide which WI you plain to "advance"
perhaps by way of call to one of the functions WAPI_*.

Eg triggering an event.
Use So28 to define the inbound mail "recipient". In this case your new Method.

On you other comment, Check with your SAP rep regarding licensing.
Are you sure your license is the same for occasional external users
and internal users.

Under some licenses there is a restricted license at a reduced rate for very simple
external users. Check your particular contract and license.
So if you have a small number of business partners, it may be worth the license if the
business process is important enough and you benefit from timely and accurate input.
If not, go ahead and build the e-message handler.

hth

Phil Soady
Senior Consultant
Business Technologies