How to check in Multiline Return containers for a status ?

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Tue May 7 01:05:48 EDT 2002

Hi Christian,

Are you sure BAPIRET2 is the structure you want to check? This structure is
used by SAP to return Error (and Success) Messages to the User. I suppose
you could use it and see if the message returned was a Success but you could
also check if the user was actually locked and then you know for sure. This
would avoid the situation of having to check the whole internal table
returned.

This actually brings up some good points about calling BAPIs from Workflows.
I would be interested to hear what other have done in this situation. I
usually find that BAPIs are not WF friendly. Because they use the BAPIRET2
structure, it is impossible to set OUTCOMES in your WF (no exceptions are
raised). Also, a lot of times the BAPI has importing/exporting structures. I
have found that it is not possible to bind container elements into
individual fields of these structures. What I usually do is create a
Workflow friendly method which calls the BAPI but has exceptions and
importing/exporting parameters which are not structures.

Your opinions/comments?

Alon Raskin
3i Consulting Group
e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com