Stuck Workflow

Heinrich Bence sirheinbence at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 20 09:05:39 EDT 2001

Dear Todd and Heather

I have come across this problem before. In my case it
was due to the user performing actions on the actual
object via the standard sap menu path and not via
their workflow inbox - I.e. releasing a purchase
requisition or approving leave or changing some value.
Workflow waits for that action to take place on the
instance in the inbox. This can not be done as the
action has aleady taken place in the system, thus
causing your stuck workitem. The immediate solution is
to start workflow manually for that object with the
key of the stuck work item, thus generating a copy of
the same instance after the changes, and to then
delete the stuck work item from the inbox.

The way to avoid this happening is to:
1)      provide checkpoints in your flow to check the
status of the object   if released then terminate
workflow.
2)      Make use of a wait-for step in your workflow.
3)      Make use of terminating events

I hope this has been the cause in your case and that
my solution is applicable to your situaton.

PS: This does not apply to decision steps with no
processing/unlocking action taking place in the
background as a result thereof.

Kind Regards

Hein Bence

Heather,