Maintenance of substitutions

Roehlen, Peter PRoehlen at powercor.com.au
Thu Jul 19 02:46:16 EDT 2001

Hi all,

First, sorry for the very late response to this thread.

I don't want to be a spoiler, but I would avoid the below approach in
principle.

Arguably you could do something like this for any SAP table - eg HR master
data, PM orders etc etc.  The only problem is that tables like this do not
have the flag "Table maintenance allowed" turned on in the data dictionary,
and for very good reason.  Maintaining data directly in these tables (ie not
through the application layer) potentially bypasses security, locking and,
perhaps more importantly, is ignorant of any application rules potentially
leading to data inconsistency.

For example, hypothetically SAP may at any time change the application code
relating to substitutions so that another dependant table (in addtion to
HRUS_D2) is updated whenever a substitution is updated.  Over time as you
continue to update HRUS_D2 directly, the inconsistency between it and it's
dependant table grows.  Pretty soon you would find that the substitution
feature might not work at all.  You would then find that when you logged
this on OSS, SAP would wipe their hands of responsibility for this.  It is
akin to coding direct table updates in a Z* ABAP.

The above scenario may be unlikely in the case of substitutions, but you can
bet that if you tried this approach with other tables you would pretty
quickly come unstuck.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth..

Peter Roehlen
Team Lead - SAP Technical & Development