Transfer of work item due to org unit change

Schroeter, Brad BSchroeter at ti.com
Tue Jul 17 15:48:26 EDT 2001

Org unit I
  Position 1
    Holder A (validity 10/11/2000 - 12/31/9999)
*Note: Positions are created in reference to jobs and workflow tasks
are assigned to jobs.

Currently holder A has 3 work items in inbox for this org unit position.  On
10/17/2000 via tran PPOM I delimit holder A with a delimit date of
10/16/2000 and add holder B with a validity of 10/17/2000 - 12/31/2000.
Holder B currently has no work items in inbox.  I then execute tran SWUS and
select "Refresh organizational environment" button.  Now holder A has no
work items in inbox but holder B still has no work items in inbox either.

Then on 10/18/2000 I log in as holder B and see that the 3 work items are
now in the inbox.

I was expecting tran SWUS to transfer the work items from holder A to holder
B instantaneously.  Why did I see the work items in holder B's inbox the
next day, and what triggers the transfer of these work items?

SAP OSS Responses:
"To get a better performance for selecting the inbox, the items for the
different users are buffered. Using transaction SWUS -> "Refresh
organizational environment" does refresh this buffer only for the current
user. Therefore, the 3 items disappear from its inbox but do not appear in
other inboxes.

To get the items in other ones inbox, you can use the same function for the
other user(s).

The general behavior is, that once each day (maybe at night), all buffers
will be refreshed. This is why the next day the items appear automatically.
Transaction SWU_OBUF should also do the refresh for all users."
**********
"It is right. Transaction SWU_OBUF does not exist in 4.0B (sorry that I
forgot this). I called the responsible developer for a corresponding report
or transaction in 4.0B. As he told me, there is none."
**********
"I'm sorry that there is no other way in release 4.0. In 4.6, SWU_OBUF does
only reset the timestamps for the buffered values what should lead to a
complete new selection at the next access."
**********
"The refresh of the organizational environment is done once each day (at
night) by the system (for all users).  The manual refresh is only possible
for the current user, that is
logged on. There is no function for an administrator."

My Dilemma:
So is there no way to allow a centralized person to manually refresh the org
environment after org unit changes without:
-having each affected user do their own refresh, or
-without waiting overnight for the buffers to refresh?
Could it be done in a custom report with certain function modules?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Brad