[Olympus] OLYMPUS target paper draft

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Sun Feb 9 14:39:05 EST 2014

Dear Jan, all,

very nice paper. I have a few comments below, and I am including an
annotated version.

My main concern is regarding the author list.
A lot of people not listed have helped to install, operate, monitor, and
diagnose the target. Not to mention the whole story of the leak and the
concerted effort of several groups to come to the consistent conclusion
that the low rates of run I were indeed due to lower luminosity and then
tied to a leak problem with the target.

It took a collaboration to make it work.

Further, Figure 13 shows the density profile achieved with wire chamber
reconstructed data. It took a lot of people and their contributions to get
to this point. Not only to write the software but also to prepare
the wire chamber, to install the experiment and to run the experiment.

Only then we have been enabled to see how the target performs (clean and
triangular density profile).

My conclusion and suggestion is, you can keep all the main target people
at the beginning of the author list to be recognized, but this target
would not have been as successful without the steady work of a lot of
unlisted authors. That is why we have a collaboration and a guideline
policy. While it is possible to write papers on subcomponents with a
reduced author list, this paper however deserves all of the OLYMPUS PhD
scientists and graduate students listed as co-authors.

It is in particular the graduate students and postdocs who need
publications arising from their contributions to OLYMPUS.

Best regards
   Michael