[Olympus] First draft of OLYMPUS NIM paper

Douglas Kenneth Hasell hasell at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 7 21:14:17 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

	Attached is a PDF version of a very rough draft for the experiment NIM paper.

	Please do NOT send me comments, corrections, or suggestions.

	Jan has created a GIT repository on Oweb called olympus_paper_nim that contains all the files and images for this paper.  The preferred way for people make changes is to clone the repository to their local machine, make changes, and then send me the changed files.  I will then review the changes and update the repository.

	For people not familiar with GIT you will first need to ask Jan for access.  Then the following sequence of commands will get you started:

1. First make a directory for your local working copy:

	mkdir olympus_paper_nim

2. Change to that directory:

	cd olympus_paper_nim

3. Clone the repository from Oweb (now at Bonn) to the current directory (NB the "." at the end of the line is necessary)

	git clone gitolite at oweb.hiskp.uni-bonn.de:olympus_paper_nim .

4. Now you will have a working copy of all files needed for the paper.

5. To compile it using pdflatex use:

	pdflatex OLYMPUS_NIM

6. Repeat command 5 a couple of times to resolve references

7. Resolve the bibliography references:

	bibtex OLYMPUS_NIM

8. Repeat command 5 a couple of times again to incorporate the citations.

9. There should now be a OLYMPUS_NIM.pdf file with the entire paper in the current version.

10. When you want to work on the paper first check for updates

	git pull

11.  Make changes to the files as you wish.

12. If you add a new file, add it to your local repository too

 git add filename

13. If you want to delete a file from the repository

	git rm filename

14. Commit your edits to your local repository frequently (every hour or so)

	git commit -a -m "Short messge saying what you have changed"

15. Repeat steps 5 through 8 to ensure everything still works.

16. Fix your mistakes

17. Send me the files you have changed and I will review and update the repository.

Cambridge, MA 02139, USA                      E-mail: hasell at mit.edu