[Olympus] experiment MC comparison for MWPC lumi

Douglas Kenneth Hasell hasell at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 26 14:23:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

	I think this is good progress.  While the rates are far from final it is a=
 good starting point.

	I suggest that the MWPC work together with J=FCrgen and the GEMs to get a =
single analysis for the 12 degree detectors in good shape for the readiness=
 review in 4 weeks.  It should be possible to get tracks in the GEMs and MW=
PCs in coincidence with a proton track in the WCs.

	For now I would normalise everything to the slow control luminosity which =
maybe wrong but is stable over time and we can later correct this to a bett=
er luminosity measurement from the symmetric Moeller.  This can be done for=
 the four combinations of beam and magnet polarity and some very crude rati=
os formed.

	Of course this has to be compared to Monte Carlo studies for acceptance.  =
There are also efficiency questions to be investigated.  But I would not tr=
y to simulate detector response and digitization as there isn't time now.  =
Let's just get some initial results.

Cambridge, MA 02139, USA                      E-mail: hasell at mit.edu       =
    =

On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:28 AM, Belostotski, Stanislav wrote:

> Dear Michael, Jan, and all,
> I agree that the  results are promising, however the numbers obtained =

> are by far not the final ones.
> To answer to Michael's question, there are some considerations below.
> The detection efficiency is C=3DC_geom x C_trig x C_track,
> here C_track is overall track  reconstruction efficiency including MWPC =

> digitization. As Jurgen  mentioned last Friday, number of MWPC tracks =

> surpasses those of GEM by some 30% same track reconstruction program =

> being used. It is not yet certain that the ep elastic scattering tracks =

> only were selected such that   C_track (exp) could have been both larger =

> and less than 1.
>  In the MC, to calculate the lumi count rate,  we find the C_geom and =

> averaged over MWPC1-3 acceptance cross section,  assuming that within a =

> MWPC sensitive volume detection efficiency is constant (=3D1), as well as =

>   C_trig=3D C_track=3D1.
> Next step in the MC is to include digitization and track reconstruction =

> program  in the same way as the latter   treats an experimental data =

> sample,   while  C_trig is  to be experimentally determined.
> In the exp data analysis joint GEM/MWPC track reconstruction, associated =

>  proton track inclusion  and additional kinematic cuts to make as clean =

> as possible the final data sample  are soon to come.
> Then we hopefully come to the final conclusion.
> With best regards StanB
> =

> =

> =

> On 24.08.2012 17:36, Michael Kohl wrote:
>> Dear Stan, all,
>> indeed this is a milestone.
>> I suppose the efficiencies were all assumed to be unity, which adds in
>> some uncertainty, too?
>> Best regards
>>     Michael
>> =

>> =

>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Jan C. Bernauer wrote:
>> =

>>> Dear Stan,
>>> =

>>>  this is excellent news. If I understand correctly, it means that the
>>> new target has very close to "full" density and that the luminosity
>>> calculation from slow control works. The remaining discrepancy is
>>> certainly realistic just from the uncertainty in the slow control lumi.
>>> =

>>> Best,