[Olympus] Enhanced communication tools

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Thu Jul 7 18:26:17 EDT 2011

Dear all,

this is to let you know that a number of new communication tools have been
implemented this week.
PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO GET FAMILIARIZED WITH THEM AND START USING THE
NEW TOOLS!

Elog
====
Thanks to Jan and Juergen, there are now browser-based electronic logbooks
linked to
http://olympus.desy.de/elog
These can be reached from inside and outside DESY. Please get acquainted
with elog and use it!!! Experts are still improving functionality and
features.

There is in fact a collection of elogs,
olympus
olympus-target
olympus-wc
olympus-tof
olympus-trigger
olympus-lumi
olympus-moeller
olympus-daq

where "olympus" is the main logbook which will be used for entries of
general interest. During running, also run info will be submitted to
"olympus".
The other elogbooks are specific to each major component of OLYMPUS and
are mainly filled by experts and with details that may not be
interesting to everybody, but with the option for anyone to read it.

The elogbooks are password protected. Please request your userID and
password from Jan Bernauer <bernauer at mit.edu>. There is also a generic
userID that will be used at computers in the counting bay or electronics
hut.

Mailing lists:
olympus-target - target and vacuum systems
olympus-wc - wire chamber detector systems
olympus-gem - GEM tracker upgrade
olympus-tof - time of flight detector systems
olympus-lumi - luminosity monitor systems (both GEM and MWPC)
olympus-moeller - symmetric Moeller detector systems
olympus-trigger - trigger system
olympus-daq - data acquisition
olympus-mc - Monte Carlo
olympus-offline - offline analysis
olympus-testrun - Test Runs
olympus-leaders - group leaders only to discuss organisational issues
(NOTE not everyone can join this list)

Please use http://web.mit.edu/OLYMPUS/Mailing.html to verify your
subscriptions or to subscribe to any or all lists.

It can not be emphasized enough that any emails between two or more
individuals on OLYMPUS subjects should be handled by including the
respective mailing list in the address field. Private email circles tend
to have the result that essential information is withheld from other
collaborators that possibly should have knowledge about the information
exchanged. Even worse, it tends to get lost!
All emails to the mailing list are properly archived, they are searchable,
attachments are scrubbed and replaced with links.

It is a matter of adjusting yourself to this new habit. Note that it is
always possible to forward emails to a suitable mailing list even for past
emails if including the mailing list gets forgotton sometimes.

The "olympus" mailing list has the largest subscriber list and is archived
without password protection. All other mailing lists are password
protected. You must request your subscription through the MIT's mailman
website for each list linked from http://web.mit.edu/OLYMPUS/Mailing.html

Wiki:
=====
"Sticky" information, how-tos, and any other worthy information (that do
not get dug under like emails or elog messages as days go by) can be made
instantly available to all by using the OLYMPUS wiki. It is hosted at Bonn
University and is linked by,
https://olympus-docu.hiskp.uni-bonn.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

You need userID and password to access, read and edit the wiki pages,
please request access by emailing to Alexander Winnebeck
<winnebec at mit.edu>.

For the upcoming commissioning and running period it is important that
each component is documented and instructions are written how to use it.
Wiki is the right forum to provide such information which is subject to
continual changes.
I am URGING you to start using it for the above purposes!

We hope that with these tools in place, information will become superfluid
and it will be effortless to access information or to make it available to
anyone.

WE JUST HAVE TO GET USED TO IT.

Best regards
   Michael

| Dr. Michael Kohl                                                  |
| Assistant Professor                | Staff Research Scientist     |
| -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - | -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - |
| Physics Department, Olin / Rm. 414 | Jefferson Laboratory, C117   |
| Hampton University                 | 12000 Jefferson Avenue       |
| Hampton, VA 23668                  | Newport News, VA 23606       |
| U.S.A.                             | U.S.A.                       |
| Phone: +1-757-727-5153             | +1-757-269-7343              |
| Fax:   +1-757-728-6910             | +1-757-269-7363              |
| Email: kohlm at jlab.org                                             |
| Cell:  +1-757-256-5122                                            |

| Home:                                             |
| 145C Atlantic Avenue                              |
| Hampton, VA 23664, U.S.A.                         |
| Phone: +1-757-722-5025    Mobile: +1-757-256-5122 |
| Email: kohlm at jlab.org,    K.Michael.Kohl at gmx.de   |