[Olympus] PRC70 - report

Brinker, Frank frank.brinker at desy.de
Thu Oct 21 05:28:38 EDT 2010

Dear Richard, dear colleagues,
It's good to hear that the PRC is supporting us and the points you
mentioned are reasonable and need our attention.
I can say, that it's planned for the 4th of november in the next service
week to try to test electron operation of the LINAC, the accumulator
ring and maybe the DESY synchrotron. Accelerating electrons with the
LINAC should be easy, but it'll take some time to establish procedures
for switching back and forth  effectively and reproducible.
The first runs with electrons in DORIS will be possible in February next
year. It would be great, if the test experiment would be ready to take
data - even if it's not fully equiped at that time.

I have also some questions to you concerning the needed repeatablity of
the beam parameters - during the runs, from run to run and especially
from e- to e+.
To calculate the error bars of the final e+/e- ratio "R" we need to know
the dependencies of R on the beam parameters - or other way round to
determine the needed precision to reach our goal.

Therefore the question is: What is the dependence of R on
- beam energy
- beam position
- beam angle
- horizontal and vertical emittance
- bunch length
- background ( scattered particles from dust )
- differences of ion/electron densities within the target due to
different electric field of the beam

We'll try to determine the accuracy of the parameters for the next
Olympus meeting. If someone could give numbers for the dependencies we
would see where we are standing and whether we need to improve things.

With best regards
Frank Brinker