[Olympus] OLYMPUS update, TDR and Technical Review

Richard G Milner milner at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 15 13:45:56 EDT 2009

Dear OLYMPUS colleagues,
This is a brief report on the recent technical meeting at MIT, the planned
activities for the near future and some information on the technical review=
 at
DESY in September.

On Monday and Tuesday of this week there were extensive technical discussio=
ns at
the Bates Linear Accelerator Center and at MIT on the OLYMPUS experiment.  =
Uwe
Schneekloth, Frank Brinker, and Jan Hauschildt from DESY, Alexander Winnebe=
ck
from Bonn and John Calarco from the University of New Hampshire attended al=
ong
with MIT engineers, researchers, and students.  On Monday, we visited the B=
LAST
experiment at Bates and spent considerable time in the hall discussing tech=
nical
issues. Substantial progress was made in finalizing the design of the
experiment.  All the presentations will be available in the near future at =
the
collaboration home page.

On Tuesday, we discussed the Technical Design Report (TDR) and produced a t=
able
of contents.  It is attached.  I have started to work on this using our
proposal as a starting point. Major activities in the near future relevant =
for
the TDR and review include:

Chapter 1: figure of expected precision showing a number of theoretical
predictions in addition to Blunden predictions (M. Kohl)

Chapter 2: figure of 2 GeV beam size (F. Brinker)
           final synch. radiation calculations (A. Schmidt, B. Nagorny)

Chapter 3: concept for supporting the BLAST spectrometer on the ARGUS rails=
 (J.
Hauschildt)
           TOF supports (J. Kelsey, J. Calarco)
           Trigger and DAQ (Bonn)

Chapter 4: detailed updated writeup on lumi monitor (M. Kohl)

Chapter 5: design of target chamber (Bates staff, R. Milner)
           design of vacuum system  (Bates staff, R. Milner)

Chapter 7: Monte-Carlo simulations (D. Hasell, E. Tolley, A. Schmidt)to inc=
lude
           - showering of 2 GeV electrons in the fixed collimator
           - detailed detector performance with and w/o GEMS
           - study of both toroid field and lepton sign reversal to form su=
per
ratio

Chapter 8: updated costs, schedule (U. Schneekloth, D. Hasell)

I plan to submit the draft TDR to the review committee on Monday August 31s=
t. I
am requesting that all material be sent to me before Saturday August 22nd. =
The
TDR is being prepared in LaTeX.  Any comments on the Contents are welcome.

Last evening, I received detailed information on the technical review on Tu=
esday
September 15th from DESY.  It is attached.  Yesterday, we discussed a propo=
sed
utilization of the time for presentations as follows:

14:00 - Overview (R. Milner/MIT)

14:30 - DORIS (F. Brinker/DESY)

15:00 - Detector (D. Hasell/MIT)

15:30 - Luminosity detectors (M. Kohl/Hampton U.)

15:50 - Target chamber and vacuum system (J. Kelsey/MIT)

16:15 - Electronics and data acquisition system (TBA/Bonn)

16:45 - Timeline and costs (U. Schneekloth/DESY)

17:15 - end

Last week, Brad Tippens told me that he plans to attend.  All OLYMPUS
collaborating groups should have significant representation at the technical
review.

In addition, we plan to meet on the afternoon of Sunday September 13th to
resolve any technical issues.  On Monday September 14th, we plan to rehearse
the review presentations and to meet as a collaboration. The morning of Tue=
sday
September 15th is also available for collaboration business.  The review st=
arts
at 1 pm and will occupy the rest of the day. On the morning of Wednesday
September 15th we plan to meet to discuss the next steps in the light of the
conclusions from the review.

Uwe is working on the MOU draft and is awaiting some feedback from DESY. He
expects to be able to distribute a draft in the next couple of weeks. The g=
oal
is to finalize this at the September review/collaboration meeting.

best regards,
Richard