[mosh-users] mosh-server processes sticking around?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Fri Jan 31 16:37:01 EST 2014

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014, Anders Kaseorg wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> I run mosh and screen under FreeBSD 8.3.  When I do a screen -D -R (which
>> should power-detach (and log out) the other sessions, the mosh-server
>> process sticks around.
>>
>> I don't see a good way to log them out.
>
> If you run screen directly from the mosh command line, as in
>
>  mosh hostname -- screen -dR
>
> then mosh-server will automatically exit when screen does (e.g. when the
> screen is reattached elsewhere).

Okay, so in this way, mosh is different from normal ssh.  I typically
don't type screen -D -R until I'm logged in (it needs to be interactive
anyway as there's a screen password).

Even then, when I do a "power detach" screen knows enough to kill the
processes.  Would it require a patch to screen to know how to kill mosh
processes as well?

> As for your existing mosh-servers, you will just need to kill them.  If
> you’re only using mosh for attaching to screen, there’s no harm in killing
> all of them (pkill -u danm mosh-server), after which you can start a new
> one as above.

Mildly annoying, I suppose I should slap together a quick shell script to
kill all but the newest one.

-Dan

--

"One...plus two...plus one...plus one."