[mosh-users] UTF-8 Locale

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Apr 10 17:55:27 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:00:42PM -0700, Andrew Kraut wrote:
> There's something else going on here.
> If I ssh into the server and type locale at a prompt everything comes back
> "en_US.UTF-8".
> If I do 'ssh servername locale' it all comes back "POSIX".

Another possibility is that the language setting are done in your
.profile, .bashrc, .zshrc, etc.

All servers where this happened to me, the default locale on the
server wasn't an UTF-8 one. "dpkg-reconfigure -plow locale" as root on
the server and choosing an UTF-8 locale as default helped in all my
cases. (Took that as a reason to finally migrate all my boxes to UTF-8
defaults. :-)

HTH.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)