[mosh-users] UTF-8 Locale

Dave Kaufman dave at davekaufman.net
Tue Apr 10 15:06:02 EDT 2012

At 12:00:42 10 Tue Apr 2012 -0700, Andrew Kraut is alleged to have written:

> There's something else going on here.
> If I ssh into the server and type locale at a prompt everything comes back
> "en_US.UTF-8".
> If I do 'ssh servername locale' it all comes back "POSIX".

you're most likely encountering the difference between interactive and
non-interactive shells.

Odds are good you're setting your locale only for interactive shells.

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html

for all the hairy details, but you can end-around this behavior by
sourcing .bashrc from .bash_profile (or vice-versa).

--
Dave Kaufman <dave at davekaufman.net>

Cunnilingus is next to godliness.