[mosh-users] UTF-8 Locale

Andrew Kraut akraut at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:50:23 EDT 2012

Well, after digging around the Gentoo docs, I know I'm setting the locale
systemwide to "en_US.UTF-8" but when I login non-interactively it doesn't
use those settings. For now, I've just exported LANG= in my ~/.bashrc but
it seems like there should be a better way to set that system-wide.
-Andy

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012, Axel Beckert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:00:42PM -0700, Andrew Kraut wrote:
> > There's something else going on here.
> > If I ssh into the server and type locale at a prompt everything comes
> back
> > "en_US.UTF-8".
> > If I do 'ssh servername locale' it all comes back "POSIX".
>
> Another possibility is that the language setting are done in your
> .profile, .bashrc, .zshrc, etc.
>
> All servers where this happened to me, the default locale on the
> server wasn't an UTF-8 one. "dpkg-reconfigure -plow locale" as root on
> the server and choosing an UTF-8 locale as default helped in all my
> cases. (Took that as a reason to finally migrate all my boxes to UTF-8
> defaults. :-)
>
> HTH.
>
>                Kind regards, Axel
> --
> /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign                   | Axel Beckert
> \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org<javascript:;> (Mail)
>  X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe at noone.org<javascript:;>(Mail+Jabber)
> / \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/(Web)

Andrew Kraut
Cell: +1 (309) 807-5858
K9OPQ

I strongly dislike typos. If I sent one, go here to cash in:
http://bit.ly/aHeKU4