[mosh-users] Getting started with Mosh

Chason Chaffin cchaffin at mediatemple.net
Mon Apr 9 22:46:49 EDT 2012

So Mosh looks absolutely amazing, and since I generally work with
several different servers over SSH via a roaming laptop, particularly
useful for me.

However, I'm having problems getting Mosh working on one of my Debain
6 servers. I've installed from source (using the git repo), but when I
try and connect from my laptop, mosh never connects. It starts up, but
then says that it goes (Xs without contact.), X obviously being
replaced by how many seconds its been waiting.

I've tried debugging by doing the processes separately as mentioned on
the webpage, but it does the same thing. Connecting via SSH to this
server with the same credentials works (Its setup to only work with
SSH keys). I don't believe there is anything on the local network
blocking UDP, as a traceroute using UDP works with no problems, and
mosh works going to my Ubuntu server (that I installed using the PPA)

Is there anything else I can do to debug this, or does anyone have an
idea of what might be going on?

Thanks,
Chason