[mosh-devel] Thoughts on port selection, SSH tunnels

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Sun Jul 8 10:03:36 EDT 2012

1.

By default, mosh will pick a UDP between 60000-61000 for itself; some
system administrators won't take this without some grumbling. Maybe the
mosh-server program could be changed such that it (optionally)
communicates with a minimal "moshd" multiplexer (also running where
mosh-server will run) that binds to a single UDP port (perhaps 22)
on startup before dropping privileges.

2.

The manpage states: "mosh does not support X forwarding or the
non-interactive uses of SSH, including port forwarding..."

I propose that mosh keep the TCP connection open that it uses for
initial authentication to facilitate the SSH tunnels. I know that that
is still prone to connection drops, but consider users like me with
latency-incurring, but per-se stable connections.