[mosh-devel] Port selection and mouse usage

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Thu Jul 12 05:05:18 EDT 2012

Hi,

Mosh is great; but you already new that. Thank you!

Self-introduction: I live in Africa (I'm a Baptist missionary, working
in a slum in Eldoret, a town in Kenya -
http://david.dw-perspective.org.uk), and especially when travelling,
connections can be ropey. I'm also the developer of WordShell, a
WordPress command-line admin program (http://wordshell.net).

Two things that seem to me to be missing in mosh:

1) Presently you can either let Mosh choose a port out of the default
range 60000-61000, or you can specify precisely one port to use. If you
do the latter, and if the port is already in use (e.g. your connecting
machine crashed, but the server end stays alive because it doesn't know
where you went), then you have to mentally keep tabs of what might be
alive on the server. And it means if you use a terminal program (e.g.
konsole in KDE, gnome-terminal, etc.) then you can't easily store a
command to use (unless you want to script something that tries the ports
in sequence).
So, the problem is that you can have a range of ports by default, or
specify just one. mosh should allow you to specify a *range* of ports on
the client side.

2) I use konsole; not sure if this is the case for all mouse usage, but
basically mouse usage does not work. I use w3m to browse the web over a
terminal; but the mouse behaves as if it were not there; I can't click
on links or navigate around with it (whereas it does work over a
standard ssh session within konsole).

Many thanks,
David

--