[MOS] TODAY October 9, 2012

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 9 08:09:47 EDT 2012

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Optical biosensors and systems integration

Frances S. Ligler,

Naval Research Laboratory, Washington D.C.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

New concepts for molecular recognition, integration of microfluidics and optics, simplified fabrication technologies, and improved approaches to biosensor system integration are producing smaller, faster, cheaper biosensors with capacity to provide effective and actionable information.  We have combined microfluidic mixers, magnetic field control, and hydrodynamic focusing methods to move target molecules and cells into a variety of optical interrogation devices.  These approaches achieve improved target delivery to sensors and reduced clogging.  Most importantly, we have focused on issues critical for effective systems integration, including the interactivity of the choices for sampling technology, biochemistry, optics, fluidics, and electronics.  The overall sensing geometry, size, power, and data readout must address the sensing needs and the user requirements—in a final format that is as simple, robust, and inexpensive as possible.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401

Refreshments served after the lecture