[MOS] TODAY October 20, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 20 08:02:10 EDT 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Advanced Rayleigh imaging for accurate carbon nanostructures

Jiwoong Park, Cornell University

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Carbon based nanostructures, including carbon nanotubes, graphenes,
and graphene nanoribbons, have played a central role in nanoscale
science and technology in the past decade. Even though many promising
devices have been demonstrated using these individual carbon
nanostructures-most notably with carbon nanotubes, applying them for
larger scale devices has been difficult due to the enormous
challenges that are unique to nanostructures. As the most notable
example, there are no simple characterization methods for identifying
the chirality indices of individual carbon nanotubes with a high
throughput.  My group recently developed a powerful characterization
method that allows spectrally resolved Rayleigh imaging of a large
array of individual carbon nanotubes (CNTs) on a substrate. We
successfully took a color scattering image of individual CNTs using a
combination of carefully controlled laser illumination and refractive
index matching. The unique color of each CNT reflects its electronic
structure including the energies of van Hove singularities. Using
this technique, we also studied electronic interactions between
closely located parallel CNTs, which revealed a strong dipole
coupling and enhancement/disappearance of Rayleigh signal. Our
advanced Rayleigh imaging is much faster and more versatile than any
other optical (Raman or PL) or scanned probe techniques (STM, AFM)
that are currently used for nanotube characterization and will be a
general tool for studying scattering spectra of other nanoscale
objects.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture