[MOS] November 3, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 30 08:15:19 EDT 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Pathways to more efficient Third-Generation Photovoltaics

John Asbury, Penn State University

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Organic solar cells are promising candidates for inexpensive third
generation photovoltaics for large area applications because they can
be processed from solution using role-to-role technology.  The
efficiencies of current organic solar cells are limited by partial
overlap with the solar spectrum and sub-optimal open-circuit voltage
characteristics.  Efforts to extend the absorption spectrum of
organic solar cells into the near-infrared have produced many
promising low band-gap polymers, but enhancements in device
efficiency have been incremental.  New understanding of the
photophysics of these low band-gap polymers suggests that the
efficiency of the corresponding devices is limited by incomplete
charge separation at electron donor/acceptor interfaces.  To
elucidate the origin of this limitation, we undertook a study of the
dynamics of charge separation in a photovoltaic polymer blend
consisting of the conjugated polymer, CN-MEH-PPV, blended with the
electron accepting functionalized fullerene, PCBM, using ultrafast
vibrational spectroscopy.  We take advantage of a solvatochromic
shift of the vibrational frequency of the carbonyl (C=O) stretch of
PCBM to directly measure the rate of escape of electrons from their
Coulombically bound radical pairs.  Our findings demonstrate that the
rate of free carrier formation is temperature independent indicating
that excess vibrational energy resulting from the electron transfer
reaction plays an important role in mediating charge separation.
These observations suggest that efforts to develop new low band-gap
polymers for organic solar cells should target electron donor and
acceptor pairs capable of advantageously redistributing excess
vibrational energy to efficiently separate charge with minimal
donor-acceptor energy level offsets.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture