[MOS] Dasari Lecture October 6, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 2 14:34:16 EDT 2009

3rd Annual Dasari Lecture

Changhuei Yang
California Institute of Technology

Innovations in biophotonics- from $10 chip-scale microscopes to
time-reversal-induced tissue transparency

		Tuesday, October 6, 2009
12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room (34-401)

Biophotonics is a rapidly evolving research area aimed at providing
new light-based imaging, diagnostic and therapeutic tools for
biologists and clinicians. I will be talking about two areas of
biophotonics research that are occurring in my lab: 1) The
Optofluidic Microscope - This project fuses the advantages of optical
and microfluidic technologies to create small and cheap microscope
systems that do not contain any optical elements. The working
principle is similar to the way we see floaters in our eyes. This new
way of formulating microscopes also allows for remarkably simpler
phase and darkfield microscope designs. 2) Tissue Scattering
Suppression by Time Reversal Optical Phase Conjugation - An approach
for turning biological tissues transparent through the use of
holography. Light scattering in tissues may look random but their
trajectories are deterministic. As such, it is possible to create a
situation where light scattered from a tissue will retrace their
paths through the tissue. I will report on our recent findings and
point out a few applications for this phenomenon.

Professor Yang graduated from MIT in 2002 and has steadily moved
towards warmer climate thereafter. After short stints at ESPCI
(Paris) and Duke University, he settled down in Caltech in Dec 2003.
Professor Yang received the NSF CAREER award and the Coulter
Foundation Early Career Phase I and II Awards. In 2008 he was named
one of Discover Magazine's '20 Best Brains Under 40'.

Refreshments served following the seminar

Sponsored by the George R. Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory and the
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology