[MOS] MOS November 20, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 16 09:45:12 EST 2007

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Obrad Scepanovic,
MIT

Multimodal spectroscopy of vulnerable plaque

November 20, 2007

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room  34-401

The combination of reflectance, fluorescence, and Raman spectroscopy
- which we term multimodal spectroscopy (MMS) - can provide
complementary and depth-sensitive information about tissue
composition. We present an overview of the development of MMS into a
clinical technique for detecting vulnerable atherosclerotic plaque,
which is done through four main areas. In the first, we show that MMS
can provide spectral markers indicative of the presence of
morphological features of vulnerable plaque. Having established the
motivation, the next step describes the mathematical tools used to
extract quantitative spectral parameters and, moreover, to assess the
uncertainty and confidence of the spectral information. In order to
apply the mentioned methodology, in the third step we describe the
development of a compact and practical clinical MMS instrument and an
efficient, specialized MMS probe for data acquisition. Lastly, we
describe preliminary results from a clinical study of vulnerable
plaque as an important step in clinical translation of the MMS
technique.