[MOS] October 24@mit.edu, 2006

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 23 09:58:20 EDT 2006

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

David Pritchard, MIT

Confined atom interferometers

October 24, 2006

12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m.
GRIER ROOM 34-401

Abstract:

Confined Atom Interferometers do not operate like conventional
interferometers in which propagating amplitude is split in momentum
space and subsequently separates and recombines only due to
propagation.  Rather, the atoms are held localized in a single well
trap that morphs into a double well with coherent atom phase in both
wells, then  are recombined after accumulating a differential phase.
If we measure the relative phase of unconnected atoms initially, and
then after some interaction, we are performing atom interferometry.
Doing this with many atoms (e.g.with a BEC) in the initial trap
results in interference between possibly different numbers of atoms
in each of the separated wells - this is essentially interferometry
with classical objects.  We have developed confined atom
interferometers using two approaches: deformable optical traps and
magnetic traps, both with new scientific opportunities.