[Macpartners] Mac client, cloud server file problem

Rich Pieri ratinox at mit.edu
Tue Dec 8 14:13:38 EST 2015

On 12/8/15 1:29 PM, Karen M Johnson wrote:
> Anyone have any advice? Know anything about this? Will it go away if
> we upgrade to El Capitan? (I doubt it since this problem seems to
> have existed a while).

If the problem is what I think it is then no, an OS upgrade will have no
beneficial effect. What I suspect is that Spotlight on one one or more
of your group's Macs is indexing the shared directory. You can check the
indexing status of a volume or share with the command

  mdutil "/Volumes/<Share Name>" -s

(I'm assuming standard Mac mount points). This will return "Indexing
enabled" if it is. If it is enabled then you should add the share to
Spotlight's Privacy tab: Apple Menu -> System Settings -> Spotlight ->
Privacy and drag the share into the list. Repeat on all of your group's
Macs.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox at mit.edu>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science