[Macpartners] video cards

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 4 09:47:02 EST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Felix Kreisel wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to put together a Mac system for purchase to maximize
> the display area while keeping the price down. So far, I decided
> that we need to go with Dell displays instead of Apple's to save $
> $. Does anyone know whether the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card
> on the Mac will drive the Dell 3007 WFP plus the Dell 2407 WFP
> monitors both. The description on the Apple site about this card says:
> It features a 256MB frame buffer and both a single-link DVI port
> and a dual-link DVI port, making it capable of simultaneously
> supporting one 23-inch and one 30-inch Apple Cinema Display.

In order for someone to answer this question, they would need to know
the specs of the Dell displays. While I suspect that the NVIDIA Ge
Force 7300 GT can drive either Dell displays (again, with the proper
specs, that can be confirmed) but Apple also makes other, higher end
cards with more capabilities than the NVIDIA 7300 GT that, depending
on what you want to do (which we also don't know), may be better
choices.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu