[Macpartners] mail.app migration

Scott R Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 4 12:35:42 EST 2006

I backed up a 10.3.9 system to an external firewire drive.    I put a newer 10.4
machine in place of the older one, and connected the external drive to the new
system.

The user has about 20000 messages in their inbox.   The older mail.app
apparently cached or otherwise knew about all the messages, but only displays
about 140.  The newer mail.app from 10.4 insists on downloading all messages
from the POP3 account.

I tried to copy the old inbox files to Mail's location under <user> -> Library.

Upon calling up mail.app after doing so, it showed the same 140 messages, but
when I elected to get mail, it still retrieved all 20000 messages.

I figure there is a cached or prefs file somewhere that I'm missing.   It would
be really nice to have the prefs file in place, and have 10.4's mail.app do a
diff between the messages it knows and newer ones, and not have to download all
20000 message again.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

Scott